Everyone, even if you’re not handy, should have a basic tool kit for the home. The first thing you should get is a toolbox or tote to store and carry the tools. You can go traditional or be creative. Find something that will work with your tools and where you plan to store the box.
Next, get some basic tools. Hardware stores can be overwhelming, but they usually have helpful people working that can assist you.
Here is a very basic list that will handle most simple jobs around the house:
- Tape Measure: I like a 25′ Retractable Tape Measure
- Screw Drivers: Assorted Sizes, Flat Blade and Phillips
- Gimlet: You use it to start a hole. This is a handy tool for those of us without drills
- Claw Hammer
- Wire Cutter
- Needle Nose Pliers
- Assorted Nails & Screws
- Picture Hanger Assortment
- Duct Tape & Painter’s Tape
- Spackling Paste & Putty Knife
- Flat Scraper Razor Blades
- Super Glue
- Crescent Wrench
- Steel Wool
- Assorted Sand Paper
You will be able to take care of most small home-related tasks with the tools above. Happy fixing!